Wednesday 17 December 2014

Part three

He was so handsome when we met. A real gallant soldier in a uniform with bright shiny buttons. He looked so fierce then he was marching with his men behind him cowering slightly every time he barked an order. But he spoke so tender to me. I was only a girl and I thought I loved him. So of course as they always do things took their course. Not after the first time but soon he shipped out. He left me with a gift. A little boy with his face. It was hard in those days to be a single mother. But I wasn't the only one with a soldier’s bastard and things were easier than they had been. I never married. In the beginning I hoped he’d come back. But of course he never did. I knew he was alive when I started getting cheques in the mail. I imagine him sometimes old and grey, I wonder if he’s as lonely as I am.

Part one here.

Next part here.

No comments:

Post a Comment